Monday, December 6, 2010

Quick Thoughts on West Partnership

I was disappointed in the West Partnership, not because we were all scrambling at times, or because I disliked any of the topics we were given, but because I never felt like my pen-pal and I built any sort of relationship.  Matt wrote very little in response to what I wrote him and most of what he wrote about himself was dry and came off as lazy.  Each week, I looked forward to seeing if he wrote anything interesting, and I asked him questions in my responses that I hoped would encourage him to write as much as he could to me.  Each week, though, I was disappointed.  He just didn't seem to care to write anything.  Why not?  That was a question I've asked myself a lot over the partnership.  Here are a few of my ideas:

-He does not feel any pressure to write because there is no grade attached.  Matt wrote in his "Peak/Valley" assignment that he felt like he messed up with his diagram and paragraphs but it "didn't really matter because it wasn't graded."  For me, it was exciting to write to a pen-pal and I was curious in what the pen-pal would write back; that was a release from my busy schedule of academic reading and writing.  A high school student may not take the same pleasure in reading and writing.  Matt came off as "too cool for school."  He may only put effort into an assignment if he knows his teacher will be grading it.  It's a shame to a future English teacher like myself, but it may be the reality.

-He's a shy guy by nature.  It's possible that Matt is just shy.  He may be an introvert who doesn't care to open up to a pen-pal he's never met.  I tried to open up to him in hopes that he would respond similarly and we would build a relationship, but he may not be comfortable with that.

-The volume of my writing intimidated him.  I tried to write as much as possible, and it's possible that scared Matt off.  He may have worried about what someone (who he knew was in English) might have said about his writing.  Perhaps he thought writing was easy for me because I wrote so much and he became frustrated because it was difficult for him.  In reality, writing is never easy for anyone.  I know this now, but Matt might not.  I don't think this is the reason Matt didn't write back, but it is possible.

What do you guys think?  Can you think of other reasons why Matt would write so little?

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way John- and wonder if maybe it is because we are faceless names. Why SHOULD they tell a person they have no relationship with their details and secrets? I don't think all teens are comfortable airing their dirty laundry in public as writing teacher sometimes want them to be.

    ReplyDelete